Best cars of 2014 – Lauren Fix, The Car Coach
2014 was simply an amazing year for cars. From hybrid supercars to track day cars disguised as daily drivers, there’s a little something for everyone. Meanwhile, car interiors are getting better and better at making us feel like we’re at home, or at least connected through our devices, which in 2014 is pretty much the same thing.
Here is my list for the BEST VEHICLES of 2014:
1. 2015 BMW i8 – The BMW i8 is the most significant and forward-thinking car on the road today. This is BMW’s vision of the future, its latest supercar, the plug-in electric hybrid i8, is thrilling, yet somehow practical. Even when the juice runs out, the 1.5-liter, 3-cylinder engine borrowed from Mini makes it fun to drive.
2. 2015 Porsche Macan S and Turbo – it may look like a baby Cayenne SUV, but it has heritage and the talents of a 911. A fun daily driver that’s track worthy and still can haul all of your toys too.
3. 2015 Audi S3 – Now that it’s all new and has a fancy sedan body, Americans are going crazy for the Audi A3. But that’s not the best part of the car: that would be the fact that the hopped-up Audi S3 and upcoming RS3 version is coming to the US.
4. 2015 Jaguar F-Type Coupe – its first true sports car since the iconic E-Type, Jaguar rolled out the F-Type Coupe this year. The car is so well balanced; it’s more fun to drive at top speeds, and a beautiful coupe both inside and out.
5. 2015 Ford F-150 – The new F-150 is made of aluminum, not steel, its lighter, pumping up MPG numbers, more towing capacity and so many upgrades that you will be impressed with it outside and inside.
6. 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat – with 707hp, this is one fast car. This muscle car is an exercise in “go-fast” engineering, and the Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat can make your trip to the grocery store as much fun as going to the track.
7. 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class – Mercedes-Benz has more safety and driver-assistance systems plus a network of radars, cameras, and ultrasonic sensors makes it the most sophisticated and one of the safest cars on the road. All beautifully wrapped up in style, class, polish, this is a top of the line amazing car.
8. 2015 BMW M4 – This luxury sport sedan had a major redesign as a M4, formerly the M3 coupe, by replacing a V-8 with a twin-turbocharged inline 6-cylinder. The new M4’s bottom line is higher horsepower and more torque at a lower rpm, yet improved fuel economy and better weight distribution. The optional adaptive suspension makes this car a wonderful daily driver and an aggressive track car too.
9. 2015 Volkswagen Golf – this is an all-new design of the Golf hatchback; the brand has tailor-made the car for the US market. Its price is lower, but it retains the upscale finishes. The full line-up from gas to diesel to e-hybrid are optional with two- and four-door body styles offered. Inside, there are soft-touch surfaces. The starting price is $18,815; it still drives and feels like a premium compact car.
10. 2015 Ford Mustang – the pony car is back with much of its
heritage plus a long-awaited independent suspension. The new 2.3L turbo engine is as much fun to drive as the 5L V8 beast. This is the 50th birthday for the Mustang and this new car is truly a present you will want to own.
There were many other outstanding vehicles from Mini, Lexus, Acura, Honda, Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Hyundai, KIA and more but these 10 really stood out in the crowd.
In 2015, look for more hi-tech, safety and self-driving features that consumers seem to be clamoring for in their new rides.
For more automotive industry news go to www.laurenfix.com
For breaking news:
Follow Lauren on Twitter @LaurenFix
Sign up for the Free Monthly Car Coach Report Newsletter: eepurl.com/CBl_z
Music: by AudionautiX.com
Disclosure: Free Royalty Music
Car Coach Reports™ is a production of Automotive Aspects Inc.
All footage is media footage from each manufacturer with permission.